Students, staff and faculty can set up LockDown Browser in HuskyCT.
Downloading and Installing Respondus LockDown Browser
Instructions on how to download lockdown browser can also be found on the HuskyCT Institution page.
Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor should only be used for taking Canvas Quizzes and should not be used in other areas of Canvas. How to Download the Lockdown Browser Software (Video) Visit the website 1. Look for Respondus LockDown Browser and click on the link inside the description paragraph. LockDown Browser Updated: April 27, 2020 Introduction AP Classroom works with the LockDown Browser, a free secure browser that enhances the security of online testing by restricting student access to the internet. Two steps are necessary for students to use the LockDown Browser: 1. Download the LockDown Browser onto Student Computers and Tablets 2. Instructions on how to download lockdown browser can also be found on the HuskyCT Institution page. Once you have downloaded LockDown browser, you will need to install the program. The method for installing LockDown Browser will differ based on your operating system (OS). The sections below contain installation instructions for each.
Once you have downloaded LockDown browser, you will need to install the program. The method for installing LockDown Browser will differ based on your operating system (OS). The sections below contain installation instructions for each. Review the appropriate instructions for your OS.
Installing LockDown Browser for Windows
To install LockDown Browser for Windows,
Click on Install Now on the right side of the page.
- A download window will appear. Click Save File.
- If prompted by a security warning, click Run.
- Once the installed comes up, click Click to Install.
- If you have UAC active, click yes.
- Choose a setup Language and click Next. The installer will now begin to run. When you get to the license agreement, select I accept…
- Click Next. The installer will finish.
- Click Finish to complete the process.
Installing LockDown Browser for MacOS
To install LockDown Browser for MacOS,
- Click on Install Now on the right side of the page.
- The installer will be put in your Downloads folder. Open it up from there. Once the installer opens, follow the onscreen instructions by clicking Continue for the 'Introduction' and 'License' sections.
- Select the Mac HD or the default hard drive for the destination to install.
- Click Continue.
- Click Install.
- The installation will then run. When complete, click Close.
Installing LockDown Browser for Chromebook (Chrome OS)
Lockdown Browser For Macbook
The LockDown Browser for Chromebook app cannot be made available to students for use on their personally-owned devices. LockDown Browser for Chromebook is available only to K-12 schools that have purchased a LockDown Browser license, and use school-wide mobile device management for their Chromebooks. UConn does not meet this criteria.
Testing for Whether LockDown Browser is Required
Performing a test in HuskyCT will indicate whether or not LockDown Browser is required.
To test if LockDown Browser is required,
- Close all programs except the one connecting you to the Internet.
- Locate the Lockdown Browser shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.
- Mac OS users should launch LockDown Browser from the Applications folder.
If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g., screen capture or instant messaging) by choosing Yes, or close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Login to HuskyCT using your NetID and Password.
Navigate to the test and select it.
- If the instructor requires a test password, a new window will appear asking for the Exam Password. Enter the password.
- Click Begin Exam.
- The test will then start.
Once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until you have clicked the Submit button.
Please note that Lockdown Browser works only on a computer (PC or Mac) or iPad. Please see the instructions below to get ready BEFORE taking a real quiz your professor gives.
Taking a quiz with Lockdown Browser on your computer:
Lockdown Browser Download On Mac
- Download the Lockdown Browser app to your computer:
Link to download Lockdown Browser to your computer
- Launch your “LockDown Browser” app on your computer. For PC users, find it from your programs. You might want to create a Desktop shortcut to it if you cannot find one on your desktop already. For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder, or use spotlight search to search for “Lockdown Browser”.
- Close all other programs before launching the Lockdown Browser. If you have some programs running in the background, you may be prompted to close it. Choose “Yes” when prompted. If you see a warning that ARDAgent is preventing access to Lockdown Browser, follow instructions on the screen to quit the application. Restart the computer if you keep having issues. Do this before class to get ready as you may have limited time to take a quiz.
- Log into your Canvas course using your regular ACU login information.
- Navigate to the quiz and click on Take a Quiz.
- Take your quiz and submit it.
- Exit the program when you have completed the exam.
Lockdown Browser Download Mac
Taking a Quiz with Lockdown Browser on your iPad:
- Download and Install the free “LockDown Browser” app from the app store. If you installed it before January 2018, make sure you have updated it from the app store. The app works for IOS 7.0 and above. Please update your IOS if you have not already done so.
- Before a test, launch the LockDown Browser app on your device.
- Log in to your Canvas account when prompted.
- Find your course and then click on the quiz.
- You will see a message to “Confirm App Self-Lock.” Tap on “Yes” to confirm.
- Take your quiz and submit it.
- Exit the app upon completion of the quiz.
Take a Sample Quiz:
Prior to the first quiz, please complete a practice quiz that uses LockDown Browser to make sure you have installed it correctly. Check with your professor if he or she can give you a sample quiz for your to test it if he/she has not done so already.